Saturday, February 11, 2012

Second Year

Just finished registering for my second year at Uni and it's looking good. I've signed up for another six papers which, if I'm able to do them all, will give me a full second year course load - 120 credits.

First semester will be Film History and an English Lit paper called Sea Passages, which explores a series of novels sharing the common focus on journeys by sea. These include Wide Sargasso Sea, Wulf, The Waste Land, Star Waka, Jane Eyre and a few others. Second semester I've chosen Modern Poetry, Film in Aotearoa and Writing for Print Media. Third trimester I'll do Writing for Business.

Whether I'll actually be able to do all six, I'm not sure. These are all 200-level courses and require a bit more effort than last year and I'm still working 0.7 of full time. I'm also thinking I might drop the Film as a major and just keep it as a minor. I realize while I love learning and writing about film, I'm not going to be working in this area later and the 300-level courses on offer are very limited, especially now that they're not offering Screenwriting and Documentary any more. :-( However, if these two courses become available again next year, it might be a different story, as they both look great.

Now, it's back to finishing my student critiques for the second-to-last writing workshop coming up on Tuesday. I'm also due to get critiqued on my second submission which was all-new writing for me. It was hard work and I struggled quite a bit with it. My first submission was an older story, reworked for this class and I was very happy with it (and the tutor said it had the potential to become a breakthrough story, so yay!!) This one I'm not so sure - but we'll see what Tuesday brings. The course has gone so fast, I'm astounded, but it's been brilliant. Our tutor is a bottomless well of writing wit and wisdom and we've all benefitted enormously from her input!

No comments:

Post a Comment